(By Glyn Henman)
In Young Life Australia, we are serious about the call of God upon the mission to “walk in wisdom toward them that are without” (Col 4:5), to “have a good report of them that are without” (1 Tim 3:7) and “That you may walk honestly toward them that are without” (1 Thess 4:12). These foundational scriptures are the basis on which we understand how our lives need to be lived out before the young people of the world.
Integrity and respect are two key words we need to think about when looking at our conduct as leaders. Much has been given to us as leaders and therefore much is required. How we live out our lives is critical as we invite young men and women across the country into a relationship with Christ (Luke 12:48 “But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”).
While many issues will be dealt with in other parts of the training, we feel that it is important to give you a general overview of things that we feel are important in working with young people as a leader. While this list is not extensive, it does give you feel for the quality of ministry and the quality of the relationships we want young people to experience.
Your Integrity Before Young People
- You are not to be in a dating or physical relationship with a young person who is attending club or of school age.
- You should maintain healthy physical and verbal boundaries in your work with young people.
- You should never purchase a young person alcohol, cigarettes, or illegal drugs.
- You should not drop young people home of the opposite sex last or be in position where accusation about inappropriate behaviour could be raised. This may include being alone with a young person of any sex in a closed or secluded environment like a car, or in a house alone etc. (local areas will have firmer guidelines, so speak with your Area Manager).
- You should care for all young people whether they accept or reject Jesus Christ.
Your Integrity in Young Life Australia
- You should protect the interests of Young Life Australia and the young people we work with.
- Regularly attend Young Life Australia Leader meetings.
- You should dress appropriately for work with young people (they are very impressionable) and err on the side of modesty. If in doubt, do not wear it.
Your Integrity in The Church
- You should be actively involved in the local church.
- Your pastor/minister should know of your involvement in Young Life Australia.
- Seek opportunities to inform people of the work of Young Life Australia in your church.
- You should seek to connect new-Christian young people into the life of the local church.
You Are Responsible For
- Your own behaviour and actions.
- Your personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- The way you live out your life before God and man.
- Respecting authority no matter where that authority lies (Young Life Australia, church, schools, parents etc.)
You are not Christ, you are not the Holy Spirit, and you are not a kid. You are an adult Young Life leader who is privileged to point young people to Jesus Christ with integrity and respect.
Download Leadership Ethics and Responsibilities