Each committee is made up of five to seven individuals all working together to support the local ministry. Committees may choose how they are organised and what roles they offer, but at a minimum, we suggest a Chairperson, Treasurer and Prayer Coordinator.
Beyond that, we encourage committees to consider the primary activities it will be undertaking over the year and appointing people appropriate for those activities. It is important that committee members feel they have a specific role that is suited to their gifts and have a clear understanding of what is expected of them.
Additional Roles might include:
- Church Partnerships
- Public/Community Relations (media, marketing)
- Fundraising and Donor Relations (TDS)
- Grant Writer
Regardless of the role, there are a few commonalities across all committee members in terms of characteristics and responsibilities.
- Walking faithfully with Christ
- Confident of their call to the role
- Interested in young people and the Young Life ministry
- Willing to share time, talents and resources
- Involved in their local church
- Attend monthly committee meetings
- Support local staff and volunteer leaders
- Take a leadership role in committee activities (events, fundraising, prayer, church partnerships, etc)
- Provide input in the local Vision Statement and Financial Master Plan
- Financially support the ministry
- Pray for the ministry
- Attend one Young Life activity per year (club, camp or special school activity)
- Make a 2-3 year commitment
Hoyt Jackson explains below the purpose of committee.
Hoyt Jackson has some great tips below for caring for Young Life Staff. Have a listen to what he has to say.
We would like to thank Young Life USA for the use of their committee roles documents.
The roles listed in the topics below have been taken from Young Life USA resources, used with permission.